keywordsRadiowaves Forums - General board - RSS Feed Jim McCabe Starts On FM104 - Page 2 - Radiowaves Forums
Radiowaves Forums

Go Back   Radiowaves Forums > General board

Old 17th February 2007, 18:13   #11
Undercover
Intitled to my opinion...
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickker View Post
In my opinion....

A nice "reel world package" will not bump up your morning jnlr, people really don't give a toss about " hot slick singing bam bam wizz " jingles - ya they work to recall a station name but the only people who get a horn about jingles are winter jacket wearing anoraks.

Gimme some funny piss take parodies and liners any day, you’re more likely to
get a reaction from a funny liner then a jingle from a 20,000 euro package. I can't ever imagine a mother of 3 on the school run thinking to herself " wow i love that vocal spread compression and those hot D generation elements they use in their production, im staying on this show "

To make a morning show work you need presenters who are friends, not people churned into a show with other jocks and told " now pretend you love each other and get me figures " You also need funny people, not people who think their funny ..... FUNNY PEOPLE, and not a group of " laugh at everything because were a crazy zoo crew " type presenters, nothing is more annoying. .
At what point did i say that a new reel world package would be the be all and end all?? Simple, I didnt so lets not put words in my mouth yea.

The problem with FM104 is they dont have a bloody package. They have a few hundred different types of lines, beds, and ramps that have built up over the years and all whacked together. Even at the peek of the alarm clock they pumped out maybe 3 new parodies a week for use as liners etc. They new alarm clock will take a while before they reach that standard, too many other tweeks to sort first. If you personally believe that imaging using new packages dont make any difference to a (a new) shows image we'll then thats your opinion, but in mine i'd be pretty sure that people hearing parodies for late 90s songs is a VERY bad idea and properly the best way to alinate listeners in the target age range. Parodies only tend to be funny when you know the REAL song, Sexy Joe for the Strawberrys is a brilliant example. That wouldnt have been half as big of a hit if it hadnt been a current number one from Justin Timberlake at the time. Finally in regards to a new package.... ReelWorld was only an example of one producer that popped into my mind. Not all packages out there need to be all singing all dancing. A bit of uniform to a show or a station would be nice, if you listened to some package clips from Strawberry Alarm Clock, Andy Preston and then The Fridge ya woulnt even think it was the same station.

This brings me nicely to onto your comment regarding spin, who might i add have station imaging down to a "T", NO Dublin station has a package as good as Spins who's production is the best i've EVER heard in the city. One station - One v/o talent! Ann Dewig is perfect and has done ALL branding for Spin since the year dot. Where as 98FM had 3 voice overs at one stage two or which were brutal (Justin McKenna , Brian James, and some other guy) before finally going back to their current one Brian James. Then FM104 Currently use three (Julie Love, Marc Silk and new gut on the fridge). Altho i'd also be the first to say Spins choice of presenters can be questioned sometimes.

You mentioned the Zoo Crew, Which is aimed roughy at 15 -21 year olds so the fact you dont like this show proves Spin know their market and impress them as opposed to us. As it happens the Zoo's presenters are actually pretty good friends outside work anyway which blows another one of your presumptions about the Zoo away.

Last edited by Undercover; 17th February 2007 at 18:23.
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2007, 19:50   #12
rickker
Mono FM User
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
I listened this morning. Show sounded VERY dated!!
Niamh and Jim sounded cool tho. Certainly good interaction between them all. I liked it until Andy Matthews joined in, then it was like a conflict of personals.

Get a new nice reel world package with someone like Sandy Thomas doing the voice work. It'll be a while but they'll spring back.
Also Mike hogan i think was on with them most of the morning.... sounded very good all three of them indeed!

Altho i suspect he was there just to drive the desk, hence andys appearence later the show to take over from mike.
JESUS MAN WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT ?

I was not refering to " ZOO CREW ON SPIN " Their good at what they do.

The term “ zoo “ in radio refers to the style of radio presentation , many voices on every link , a room of “crazy fun fun people “

And I did not put “ words in your mouth “

You added a post to a discussion on making the strawberry alam clock better and you suggested “ get a hot reel world package and sandy Thomas “

To which I replied “ im my opinion that won't better the show “, did you miss the " in my opinion " bit ?? discussion is the general nature of these forums.

Chill out, good lad.

Last edited by rickker; 17th February 2007 at 19:52.
rickker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 03:21   #13
Undercover
Intitled to my opinion...
No Avatar

"Good lad".... Dont go'on and patronize me now lol

Sorry i misunderstood ur comment regarding "zoo". Most posters mention one word of the shows name like "Strawberrys" or something. I'm sure a mod will edit it for us. Wont let me do it.

Still stand by my new package and sandy tho...
Old 19th February 2007, 09:51   #14
rickker
Mono FM User
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
"Good lad".... Dont go'on and patronize me now lol

Sorry i misunderstood ur comment regarding "zoo". Most posters mention one word of the shows name like "Strawberrys" or something. I'm sure a mod will edit it for us. Wont let me do it.

Still stand by my new package and sandy tho...

No sweat ... that just needed clearing up

In terms of imaging, ya your right, Sandy Thomas would make any music station sound hot & the reel world packages are amazing (especially the kiss stuff)

Less is more these dayís. Radio 1 in the UK use very stripped down but clever production, itís hot but not too noisy, and they use a variation of voices and accents to image the station, the accents are different but the feel of the elements are produced the same to maintain that vital station sound. XFM also do this very well.

Station imaging is such an arguable topic. What one ego manic programmer thinks sounds hot may be a bag a shite to another, but going back to my original point of the strawberry alarm clock, itís supposed to be a fun show, so the imaging should reflect that.
Old 19th February 2007, 15:07   #15
Clutter Free
88FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickker View Post
Station imaging is such an arguable topic. What one ego manic programmer thinks sounds hot may be a bag a shite to another, but going back to my original point of the strawberry alarm clock, itís supposed to be a fun show, so the imaging should reflect that.
I couldn't agree more. The SAC always had a huge variety of liners, jingles and promos, but most of them make you think instantly of the two boys who've just left.
Clutter Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 20:18   #16
Hood_Rich
Mono FM User

I was wondering how long it would take Jim to run a "battle of the sex's" competition. He must hold some sort of record for running that out of date competition on every breakfast show he's had!
Hood_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 23:59   #17
Radio Mad
Radio Mad
No Avatar

I think Jim McCabe sounds great. At long last, it really is great to hear something decent at that time of the day on FM104. Keep up the good work.
Radio Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2007, 14:29   #18
Clutter Free
88FM

Are they still running the old Strawberry liners etc?
Clutter Free is offline   Reply With Quote