PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic 252 : Where are they now?

Cian Farrell
5th April 2004, 10:07
I'm just wondering where are all the Atlantic 252 DJ's are?

I only know where Mark Whelan is, he's doing Limericks Live 95FM Brekkie, and I know Steven Cooper is on 104.

But where is

Tony Wrighton?
Matt McKay?
Simon Hardwick?
Dave James?
Enda Caldwell?

That's all I can think of, but metion them all!

Cheers

Alan D
5th April 2004, 11:16
Enda Caldwell is on Today fm presenting a friday night 90's show. don't know about any of the others!

Press LW
19th April 2004, 22:49
Not 100% on these but :

Matt McKay - Hallam FM

Simon Hardwick - Juice (Liverpool)

Tony Wrighton - Was On A Station in Essex area I believe

Dave James - Out of Radio working as a car sales man (still does abit at weekends) also has a internet station.

I take it your interested in The New Atlantic 252 era 2000 - 2001 afew of the jocks you left out:

Steve Harris - Virgin Radio
Becky Chippendale - Real Radio (Yorkshire)
Harvey Lee - Recently got a new gig at English station
Derek Flood - Today FM
Alison Mulrooney - Vibe FM

Hopefully i've pointed you in the right direction if any of this info is wrong i appologise its just what I can remember from the top of my head.

Haggis McTattie
20th April 2004, 00:37
Becky is no longer at Real Radio Yorks, and hasn't been for quite a while now. She currently co-hosts a Sunday afternoon gardening phone-in (yes, seriously!) on BBC Radio Sheffield

the jury
20th April 2004, 16:25
:king: I heard Mark Collins back on Tippfm last night doing the late night love gig....after a shakey start he sounded A1`sh#t hot...good to hear him again :cheers:

Press LW
7th May 2004, 21:43
From what I remember Mark only did swing work at Atlantic 252 and only at the very later part (December) 1998 and up till about May 1999. Never heard him after that. Is Mark Irish then I did detect a slight Irish twang. What stations has he been on ?

DeargDoom
16th May 2004, 17:49
Mark was also a swing jock for 98FM in Dublin in 1997/1998; lovely bloke.

Press LW
21st May 2004, 21:08
In 1999 Atlantic 252 could be known as the Mark era jocks on 252 called Mark at the time:

Mark Whelan
Mark Little
Mark Collins
Marc Brow
Marc Ovenden

I'm sure there was a newsreader aswell called Mark.

phil fagan
25th July 2004, 14:45
I've heard Robin Banks on Kiss 100fm recently in the evening times... still sounds great

Declan Walsh
9th October 2004, 10:55
I have heard both Enda Caldwell and Derek Flood on Today FM
and Steve Cooper on FM104.

Earlier Era:
Another Mark with Atlantic 252, between 1991 - 1994, was
Mark Byrne - currently with Q102 ( formerly Lite FM).
,, Oh - there was a Magic Mark Henry... whatever happened to
him?

One Brian McColl, aka Nails Mahoney, who did a stint in 1992, is with 98FM.
Rick O ' Shea is with 2FM.
Dusty Rhodes is with Q102.
Henry Condon is with Cork's Red FM.
I'm not sure if Charlie Wolf is still with Red FM.

Whatever happened to Al Dunne - he left Lite FM before it changed its name?

marc henry
11th October 2004, 10:43
Er, I'll be "Magic" Marc Henry then....................................

I'm still alive doing afternoons at Metro Radio in Newcastle.

Had a great year at Atlantic 252-such a shame it closed down!!!!!!!

But everytime I hear old tapes it still pisses over most stations on now!!!!!!!!!!!

jimbob117
12th October 2004, 00:19
would love to hear some of the old stuff from the early 90's till it was rebranded in 98 or so, class stuff, ashame my computer is in tatters and cant download.

rockin the bay
12th October 2004, 08:20
al dunne now runs his own pr and media company and is doing very well. you can still hear him on the odd commercial.....

Press LW
12th December 2004, 07:53
Originally posted by declanwalsh

One Brian McColl, aka Nails Mahoney, who did a stint in 1992, is with 98FM.

Nails Mahoney returned to Atlantic 252 in 1997 to present 10-2 (The All Music Lunch Shift, under the name Nails Mahoney) he was only there about 8-9 months during that year.

Nice to hear from Marc Henry, I remember when Marc Henry joined in 1995 it was roughly the same time as Dan Francisco and Marc and Dan sounded exactly the same, for a while I was convinced they were the same person until I heard a live hand over.

I've read on the net where most of the 252 jocks have gone to or currently are after 252, but there is one that no-one seems to have a clue about and thats Nice Guy Eddie who replaced Marc in 1996 he only stayed for a while and Nails then replaced him. Any ideas ?

Groossburger
27th December 2004, 16:41
Marty McFly worked on Atlantic around 1996-97, today he works on LMFM under this real name Jim Sweeney.

Press LW
1st January 2005, 16:17
Thats right heard Jim on LMFM Last time I was in Co.Meath. His show Evening Extra is only an hour i would have thought they could have given him something a little longer.

Jim has such a smooth voice really great to listen too.

Before he left Atlantic 252 in early 1998 he along with the other jocks at that point had to revert to their real names. He was Jim Payne.

Liamo
1st January 2005, 19:40
he along with the other jocks at that point had to revert to their real names. He was Jim Payne.
I'm confused....he (Jim Sweeney) was Marty McFly and when he reverted to his real name he was Jim Payne ? :confused:

davejames
23rd April 2005, 12:41
Here's some info on some of the guys from 252 which may interest you?

Catherine Orman is now working for IM Media which is the Bruno Brookes run company who do instore audio etc...

Marc Brow who was on brekky for a while is now Programme Controller at the Pulse in Bradford.

Dan Harper (who i think was nice guy eddie) is now overseas working for a station called play, and doing voice overs too.

Neil McLeod who was one of the many Dusty Rhodes is now PC at Mid FM in Ulster.

Simon Hardwick who did drive and production for a time now works on air at Splash FM in Worthing and runs digital station Passion.

Hope this is of some interest to you?
Cheers
Dave

Night Slammer
24th April 2005, 13:06
Dan Harper (who i think was nice guy eddie) is now overseas working for a station called play, and doing voice overs too.

Neil McLeod who was one of the many Dusty Rhodes is now PC at Mid FM in Ulster.

Dan Harper is somwhere in Jordan, (not that one!) running a Station.

Neil Mc Cleod was using the Dusty Rhodes name on Club Asia...never on 252 and yes he is definately on Mid FM. :D

QM79
24th April 2005, 16:36
Speaking of Atlantic 252........What happened to 'Kevin and Andrew' who presented the brekafast show in the mid ninties? (I think!) And before that it was (again I'm guessing...memory is a little hazy!) Charlie and Andrew? Great breakfast radio!!! Oh the memories!

DeargDoom
24th April 2005, 18:18
anybody remember Cousin Brucie on 252/ What was his real name and whatever became of him? And weren't there actually TWO Dickie Bows?!!

mr_t
25th April 2005, 08:30
One of the Dickie Bows was John Ryan, he's originally from the UK, but now living in Ennis after working with Clare FM for a while.

Liamo
25th April 2005, 14:22
Neil Mc Cleod was using the Dusty Rhodes name on Club Asia

Is that the same Neil Mc Cleod from ABC/HITS 954/Coast 103 days with Yorkie & Co ?

hadmatter
25th April 2005, 16:17
Charlie wolf was on red fm for a while, he had an excellent show called cork talks back.Victor Barry does it now....... its only ok.Same people on every night or else americans that nobody has ever heard of and seems to be obsessed with michael jackson jokes.Charlie works only on talksport uk(1089 1053 am) now and has a great show. He used to do the two shows for a while.

jimbob117
26th April 2005, 00:44
Captain Kevin and Andrew Turner wasnt it? remember it, class brekkie show.
I remember there was a breakfast presenter who was always doing cornation street voices in the same way gift grub takes off voices. Think his name may have been mark(funnily enough), anyone have any idea?

davejames
26th April 2005, 09:36
It was Marc Brow who did the corry impressions amongst others in his show. He's now PC at the Pulse in Bradford, after a spell with EMAP (maybe at Rock?). Louby Lou the equity trained springer spaniel who helped out on the show is now in showbiz retirement....

radiocat
7th April 2008, 20:05
Thats right heard Jim on LMFM Last time I was in Co.Meath. His show Evening Extra is only an hour i would have thought they could have given him something a little longer.

Jim has such a smooth voice really great to listen too.

Before he left Atlantic 252 in early 1998 he along with the other jocks at that point had to revert to their real names. He was Jim Payne.

Jim is still on LMFM but doing a much later show around midnight . How he aint on at least a Dublin major is one of the great mysteries in life

Re an earlier post, Mark Collins was born in London, if memory serves me right and moved back to Kilkenny where he cut his teeth on a couple of local stations including the now defunct Radio Kilkenny. Where have the rest of those guys gone ?? Co-incidentally Chris Richardson also worked with Radio Kilkenny at the time - he's best known to many as Robin Banks !:)

WBEN_cork
8th April 2008, 21:45
Just been watching Charlie do the paper review on Sky News with Anna Botting at 22.40

herbert
1st September 2009, 22:24
252 went on the air, this day Sept 1st - 20 years ago

Motor Mouth
2nd September 2009, 08:07
See there's an anoraks outing planned for Trim some time soon, fair play to the lads for organising it.

Someone must have a lot of spare time on their hands to organise it. :)

anto
2nd September 2009, 08:24

he is popping up,as usual,on every temporary station due to launch over the next couple of months so i doubt that

Nowl
6th September 2009, 18:51
See there's an anoraks outing planned for Trim some time soon, fair play to the lads for organising it.

Who's going on Saturday? :innocent:

marc henry
9th September 2009, 13:30
I believe that i102104 is doing an Atlantic 252 tribute show sometime soon...............quite a few ex Atlantic jocks will be on the show talking about their time in Trim & working on the Long Wave Giant

Marc

Fergal D'Arcy
9th September 2009, 14:14
I'm looking after this guys.

The show will be an hour long tribute to the LW giant 252

A lot of the Atlantic crew have signed up and have been really helpful. If there's any Atlantic heads I haven't been in touch with don't hesitate to contact me.

It's shaping up well at the moment...getting an awful lot of memories back from listening to some of the presenters stories.

count mobi
9th September 2009, 16:13
I'm looking after this guys.

The show will be an hour long tribute to the LW giant 252

A lot of the Atlantic crew have signed up and have been really helpful. If there's any Atlantic heads I haven't been in touch with don't hesitate to contact me.

It's shaping up well at the moment...getting an awful lot of memories back from listening to some of the presenters stories.

make sure you give us plenty of notice of broadcast

klub radio
9th September 2009, 16:23
looking forward to that. should be interesting.

9th September 2009, 16:33
I believe that i102104 is doing an Atlantic 252 tribute show sometime soon...

Would perhaps RTE be willing to co-operate with this and also broadcast this tribute as an opt-out from RTE R1 on 252kHz !?

(wishful thinking I suppose)

infoanon
9th September 2009, 16:34
Was Paul Kavanagh on Atlantic - weekends ??

Currently listening to him doing station imaging on Radio Riveria where he is programme control - memories of Sunshine and Nova come flooding back !!

Their RDS is "Hello, Big Hits ,LessTalk , Riveria , 106 .5 "

Atlantics irreverance was in my mind best summed up when Charlie played "Jailhouse Rock" as the UK government tried to "blast" prisoners off the roof from a loud speaker on a helicopter !

Fergal D'Arcy
9th September 2009, 16:40
Would perhaps RTE be willing to co-operate with this and also broadcast this tribute as an opt-out from RTE R1 on 252kHz !?

(wishful thinking I suppose)

Doubt they'll go for it but I'll check it out.... Should be complete in a matter of weeks.

9th September 2009, 19:29
Doubt they'll go for it but I'll check it out....

worth trying anyway! For us outside i102104's coverage

Even the BBC allowed the Medium Wave transmitters of BBC Essex to carry opt-out tribute broadcasts to offshore pirate radio - and that over a number of days!! So maybe RTE would consider allowing its 252LW to opt-out to carry this one tribute programme to the previous occupants of 252!

Declan Walsh
9th September 2009, 20:19
Was Paul Kavanagh on Atlantic - weekends ??

Currently listening to him doing station imaging on Radio Riveria where he is programme control - memories of Sunshine and Nova come flooding back !!

Their RDS is "Hello, Big Hits ,LessTalk , Riveria , 106 .5 "

Atlantics irreverance was in my mind best summed up when Charlie played "Jailhouse Rock" as the UK government tried to "blast" prisoners off the roof from a loud speaker on a helicopter !

Yes, indeed. Paul Kavanagh used to be on Sunday afternoons. I think he was one of the presenters for their Classic Rock Show that Atlantic did in its first year. Ah, the memories!

BlueLight
9th September 2009, 20:31
Yes, indeed. Paul Kavanagh used to be on Sunday afternoons. I think he was one of the presenters for their Classic Rock Show that Atlantic did in its first year. Ah, the memories!

he was the programme director for the first 5 or 6 years of 252...

anto
10th September 2009, 07:57
I believe that i102104 is doing an Atlantic 252 tribute show sometime soon...............quite a few ex Atlantic jocks will be on the show talking about their time in Trim & working on the Long Wave Giant

Marc

strange that i105107 are not doing this considering trim is in their coverage area

Fergal D'Arcy
10th September 2009, 10:55
strange that i105107 are not doing this considering trim is in their coverage area

Very strange indeed Anto, nice observation (ahem).

daddynolegs
10th September 2009, 13:29
Very strange indeed Anto, nice observation (ahem).

Would the be allowed to broadcast it
As either a simulcastor a different time?

somnia
12th September 2009, 04:49
Would the be allowed to broadcast it
As either a simulcastor a different time?

Probably not at the same time but I can't see any reason why they couldn't run it some time later.

anto
13th September 2009, 08:40
Who's going on Saturday? :innocent:

was there many there i wonder?